Life as a quarantined student; Part 1

Paxton DeVault

(Left to right) Patrice, Heather, Levi, and I wearing our masks at home.

Paxton DeVault, Reporter

Have you ever lived with someone who was diagnosed with COVID-19? Well I have, and let me tell you, it wasn’t a good time.

My mother, Patrice, started experiencing symptoms at work on September 15, 2020. She began having body aches and felt sweaty throughout the day, even though her office was kept fairly cool. Her company shut down the building in March and only essential workers are allowed. Everyday she is in the office, she is required to check her temperature even though she is one of approximately five people in the entire building. In the first few days, she checked her temperature four or more times daily, and it was always below 99 degrees.

She didn’t think much of it, until she noticed the loss of smell. She first thought the Scentsy’s throughout the house weren’t working. She didn’t believe it when I told her everything still smelled like lavender.

“The CDC says one of the first symptoms is a fever,” Patrice says. “I never had a fever and that threw me off. I was very tired but with never having a high temperature I thought I was just stressed.”

Around this time, my mom’s friend, Heather, moved in with us after accepting a job and moving back into town. It was all movie nights and gourmet family dinners, until my mom tested positive…

This is part 1 in a 3 part series from Paxton and her Life as a quarantined student. Visit part two here.